Sunday, June 03, 2007

The Dance






At my house, we have a dance that must be done when the spouse was right about something (preferably something stupid). Please pause for a moment now and wait while I do the "Doug was right" dance. And, the "Colin was right" dance because he said the same thing.
You can see the photo of my trusty steed, with the new seat and toe-cages. The brakes and gears also work now. The seat had been recovered with some very durable and stylish duct tape.

Anyway, I was excited to get my bike training started yesterday. Doug said that I was a fool to use this bike for my training and/or race. We lowered the seat on his bike, but I'm still too short for it even though it is a much better road machine. So, with the "I am woman, hear me roar" and "I'm not going out like some kind of punk bitch" attitude, I rode this bike 13 miles yesterday - to see if I could do it. I did it, but there was not a lot of fun going on. Run speed and swim ease do not translate into bike power. I suck at biking and the cars are very scary. Top speed: 32.1 mph.

Here is a summary of my week's training:

Sun: 3.58 miles at 9:46 pace
Mon: 6.14 miles at 8:19 pace
Tues: 4.5 miles at 8:49 pace
Wed: rest
Thurs: 5.42 miles at 8.28 pace
Fri: 1 mile swim in approx 40 mins
Sat: 13 mile bike in 1 hr, 12 mins
I have mostly abandoned the triathlon training book in favor of Doug's plan (6 days per week of activity - 2x per sport or sport/combo).

4 comments:

Jarrett Meyer said...

Roads suck in Indiana, too. At least the town where we live is putting in some nice trails. Those should be done in about two years.

Steph Bachman said...

Hi Jarrett - thanks for dropping in! At least you have some trails on the horizon - there has been discussion of bike lanes and trails here, but no action.

Jarrett Meyer said...

ORN = Obligatory Running Note
OSN = Obligatory Swimming Note
OCN = Obligatory Cycling Note
pick your poison, etc, etc.

I understand your confusion. Given the nature of the internets, you can't exactly go to Google and search for "orn". You tend to find a completely different set of topics.

Wes said...

Nice bike! I luv Trek bikes. I got two :-) The important thing is you have a plan. There are good plans on the internet for Sprints as well. Pick your poison and go for it. The important thing, as far as the bike goes, is to make sure you like it before you start investing a lot of money into it. That bike will be fine for your first.