Saturday, October 21, 2006

Return

We are back.

Doug and I went to Rome last week to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. Dagny stayed with my folks, Annika stayed with Doug's folks and our friend Christa took care of Annie. All on the homefront was uneventful except that Annie peed on her bed twice and ran out of food. She didn't ACTUALLY run out of food because I had food - it's just that no one knew where it was and I forgot to tell them. Luckily Aunt Katie bought some from the vet and brought it to Christa.

We had a fabulous time on the vacation. We walked miles and miles every day, stopped at everything that looked neat, drank too much wine, ate lots of delicious food and generally enjoyed ourselves. We even got to see the pope. I don't know if I would recommend the pope visit, especially for a non-Catholic, because it took the whole morning (and we arrived only 30 minutes early and left after the homily - it was not a Mass) but it was certainly interesting. Nuns jockeying for position and grammies standing on folding chairs - like a rock concert. We lost one of our credit cards, but the bank quickly cancelled it so it was not a big deal. We walked an additional 3-4 miles that night going back to get it at the restaurant (where we had apparently not left it) but that was OK because it enabled us to process that second bottle of wine better so as not to be hung over the next day.

I can't put the photos up because the cord that connects the camera to the computer is missing but Rome was lovely. It is just amazing that you can see so much history in one place. A good trip. Doug was (as usual) the master trip-planner. He arranged the travel, the hotel, the food, made reservations for stuff. I got to be the sidekick. It was lovely. : )

3 comments:

Dogwood Girl said...

I am sooo jealous. I loved Rome. Also, i am non-catholic and I loved seeing the Pope. Well worth a day, plus there is so much other stuff to see at the Vatican. We did the wednesday Pope thing, and it was very moving, outside in front of St. Peter's.

I am glad y'all had fun!

Dorothy Gould said...

Ditto what Annie said. We saw the Pope on our honeymoon in '97 (John Paul II) and had seats up front b/c we were newlyweds. You get such a sense of history being at St.Peter's, when you realize all that took place there.

I am so glad you got to have a special anniversary trip. Congrats on 10 years!

Anonymous said...

Welcome home. Nice to have the spouse/planner...
Mike