Sunday, May 10, 2009

Where It's At

For years, my run speed has been increasing. In 2001, I struggled to run just 1 mile in 8 minutes. I would warm up on the treadmill and then set it for 8 minutes per mile and hold on while I ran as fast as I possibly could. Then, I ran more and got faster and could do a 5K at that speed. I remember breaking 25 minutes in the Polar Bear Run 5K in 2002 the week we found out I was pregnant with Annika. I had thought I was just hung over on the day of the race. As I increased my run volume, my speed increased. It was amazing!

Last year at this time, I ran my 5K PR at the Big Peach 5K in 22:45.

On Friday, I ran 3.08 miles around my block in 33 minutes.

Now, I wasn't trying to go fast but it felt really difficult and I was sweating like a pig. It is the first time I have timed my run since the week of Thanksgiving. I should have left the Garmin at home and basked in my ignorance.

It was disheartening to know that all of my hard-fought run fitness is gone. Doug has trained for and raced one marathon (ING) and has trained for and will race a second next week (Twisted Ankle) in the time that I have gone from 17+ miles as my long run to 3 miles.

3 miles used to be nothing!

And now, it's work.

But, 3 miles is still way better than 0 miles - which has been my run volume for the past 5 months. So I just have to keep telling myself that I took time off when I was pregnant and I came back so there is no reason I can't do the same now. And the same thing goes for the extra lbs and cellulite that I've put on. I've taken it off before and I can do it again.

Too bad bathing suit season starts next week.

In other news, Annika is still sick with the weird flu. Which sucks because her first swim team practice is tomorrow. I'm SO excited about the swim team. I really hope she likes it. Just wait until I post a photo of her in her fish swim cap. It is awesome.

4 comments:

Wes said...

Good news is your run fitness will come back faster... You are such an amazing person with a great attitude. You will beat this!!

and yes, please, cute pictures of future fishee Annika :-)

Karen said...

Hey chin up... I'm in agreement with Wes - your run fitness will come back. It's all relative - speed will come, nothing wrong with starting out with a 3mile "long run" remember those marathon days... build build build! :o)

Danielle said...

I know what it's like to come back to running. After breaking my leg I was thrilled to get a 12 minute mile in! Trust me, you will be a speedy chica in no time!

Heather said...

I went through a very similar emotion coming back from my stress fracture - give it time. You will get faster, the distance will seem slower, you will pass me on the run (easily). ;)