Saturday, March 13, 2010

Dancing in the Running Store

This morning I loaded up the girls and drove over to the Big Peach Running Company to talk about my toe problem.

My big toe joint has been hurting me. I came up with several possible problems:
  1. Gout
  2. Hallux Rigidus
  3. Arthritis
  4. Running Gods are Angry With Me
  5. Bunion

Originally, I had dismissed the bunion because I don't have bunions. My sister and Grammy have them, but I don't. At least I didn't. My orthopaedist said that I had a little bump when he did my MRI last spring, and he thought that I probably had shoes that were too narrow that were causing irritation. Really? All of my shoes are mens or wides!

Well, the beautiful Defyance2s that worked so well for me while traning for Kiawah still feel fine. But it turns out that the new Defyance3s in which I've done most of my long runs for ING don't feel as great. There is a line of fabric (like a strap) that runs across the bunion area. This area is frequently called the "bunion window" but my window in the new shoes has a bar across it. Screwed by the shoe revision!

So, I packed up all of my running shoes and took them to the Big Peach to see what they thought. I showed the guy (bless him for putting up with me) all three pairs of my shoes and told him which ones worked and which didn't and why I thought it was. He watched me run and walk. He did not not laugh or say that I was full of crap. He also did not think that I was overpronating and putting too much pressure on my toe. He didn't think I overpronated at all! He thought my feet were swelling and that was causing my big toe to point towards its neighbor toe and that was causing my joint to displace and swell and the swelling was causing the joint to rub on my shoe, which causes more swelling, etc. He offered to "fix" the Defyance3s for me.

Hmmm, what have I got to lose?

So, here is a photo of the new Defyance3s that I was going to return to Brooks, but which I will now probably just "fix" instead. : )


And, here is the altered shoe that I am wearing now and feeling great! : )




It never occurred to me that you could fix the shoes. SCORE!

And, since I was taking advantage of the shoe store's knowledge and expertise, I also bought a pair of new shoes to try out. Ooh, they are coool! They even look fast!



In other news, Annika lost her other tooth so now Dagny can't make fun of her any more.




And tonight, we are doing GNO for the birthday party. Japanese steakhouse for dinner, followed by a movie at the theater. Woo!

5 comments:

Kevin said...

Its great that they were able to fix them. So how did they "fix" the shoes? Was it just relacing. Enjoy the festivities

Wes said...

They "fixed" it AND you walked out with a new pair of shoes? I like that idea!

:-)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I also want to know how they "fixed" the shoes

Steph Bachman said...

They cut off the "hard" fabric that was on the outside of the soft stretchy stuff - look at the before/after photos. In the before photo, there are two blue stripes and 4 white ones while in the after photo, there is one blue stripe and only 3 white ones.

Wes, I had to buy the new pair of shoes. : ) However, I'm going through a pair of shoes every 3-4 months so it's a good investment.

SDrunner said...

Good to hear you got your shoes 'fixed' didn't know you could do that either. New shoes look awesome, I think I am in the market for some new Brooks!