Saturday, September 17, 2011

Try New Things Offseason Challenge - Class #1 - Strike!

Climb every mountain

or just try every class at LifeTime Fitness!

Now that my triathlon offseason is here, I was thinking about what I could do to keep in shape and avoid the post-race lbs I put on last year.  So, I was thinking, maybe I could just try out all of the classes at my gym.  The gym has classes all day, every day and I have never tried any of them except for spin.

Class #1 - Strike!

So, this morning, I found a buddy and we gave Strike! a try.  It is basically an aerobic kickboxing class merged in intervals with a strength class.  You select a weighted bar and in between sets of kickboxing you do sets of lifting or sparring moves with it.  The kickboxing took me right back to the classes Corinne, Michelle, Katie and I used to take at Kim Brothers and LA Fitness ten years ago.  SO. MUCH. FUN!

We did lots of punching (which I love), lunges, squats, and cardio.  I picked the lightest bar (pink, of course) and was still dripping sweat for the whole class.  Some of the other ladies had really heavy bars, but I don't think I could have done the whole class with a heavier bar.  The instructor started early and appeared as if she would have kept going if not for the hard stop at 10am.  She gave good directions and played music with a good beat. 

My glutes are sore to the touch and I may not be able to move tomorrow, so I give this class a 10 out of 10.  I will definitely be back.

No comments: