Friday, September 19, 2008

Before I'm Dead

After law school, my friend Stephanie made a list of the stuff she wanted to do before she was dead. Then, she proceeded to check stuff off of the list. I never saw her list but I remember some of the stuff on it.

Fast forward to this week, when I found my friend Trish's blog here. Trish makes beautiful bread. Baking bread is on my list.

So, even though I don't think death is knocking on my door, here is my list, in no particular order. Feel free to comment with your own list or just ridicule my list:
  1. Watch my kids grow up, get married and have kids of their own. Sappy, I know.
  2. Actually learn to speak Russian. I took it in college and it didn't stick. At all.
  3. Learn to bake bread - the fat, floury loaves that you see in restaurants. Several attempts at this have turned out very badly. Did you know that sourdough starter can go bad? Well, it can. I even have a bread machine and that sucks too.
  4. Cross-country ski. Doug has always talked about this and regular skiing turned out to be fun so I want to give it a try.
  5. Move to Colorado.
  6. Run a marathon.
  7. Have a piano in our house and learn to play it better than a 10 year old.
  8. Learn to knit more than just a square. Learn to knit was always on my list and I can do it, but only in a square or rectangle - no turning or joining.
  9. Grow old with Doug. He won't be able to hear and I won't be able to see and we'll both have to get new knees but that's OK.

I haven't put an Ironman on the list yet. I have to wait and see how this Half Ironman distance race works out. There are plenty of places that I've never been but would like to go (San Francisco, NYC) but those are "it would be nice to-dos". I don't think I'd regret them if I got called home tomorrow.

10 comments:

Tara M. said...

That's a nice list.

I think if you come to Northern California with me, you might scratch off Colorado and change it to Northern California. I always think about you slogging away on your runs/bikes in the Atlanta weather and I am sure you would wet your pants if you lived in NorCal. There's a reason for the real estate prices.

Also, if you have a gas-powered oven, I think you will be lucky to ever have bread success. I have come to learn that pros use electric ovens. My bread always sucks, too. The bread machine is worse than the oven!

Wes said...

Yay! I want to learn how to bake bread too. I like your list, but I'm way too disorganized to have one of my own :-)

jasonaut said...

I highly recommend learning to bake bread. Allison does this frequently. It's delicious, makes the house smell like a home, and she gets some stress relief from punching dough.

jasonaut said...

And an Ironman.

Nat said...

Why bake when you can buy?

I like your list and I giggled about your Russian. I remember you taking that when we were freshman. I giggled about it then. That's a whole new alphabet!

I vote that we do the Big Sur marathon the year I turn 40 and we will go celebrate at Napa. We will do the bicycle tour of Napa.

Karen said...

Bake bread... get a bread maker... EASY! :o)

Jarrett said...

I definitely recommend the piano. I love having a piano in the home. House + piano = home. And when you're ready to learn to play, I seriously recommend learning "fake books", not sheet music. Sheet music is tedious and is great if you want to be a concert pianist. If you want to play a piano and enjoy, learn chord notation and lead sheets.

JoeVic said...

If you haven't already, see the movie "The Bucket List" with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson. It's about a list like that. I thought it was very sad, but good movie. I'm gonna have to make me a list like this and post it. Maybe we could make a community list that we could all check off items we've done or want to do.

Trish Sharp said...

lovely list!! thanks for the mention.
why bake bread when you can buy?? hummm....let me see. i'm not an expert bread baker by far, however a simple little loaf of fresh bread with some really good butter....that's heaven folks. i suggest though, if you buy, find a good bakery, not the grocery store.
i think i will make a list as well.

Anonymous said...

I remember the Russian from College. Don't worry my French didn't stick either.
Your list has a lot of things on it that I would like to do too. Make bread (thought I can in the machine), move to colorado, the piano, and the kids getting older thing. I am not sure I want to grow old with Doug, I mean he's cool and all but you can that and the knitting.

Carrie