Friday, January 02, 2009

You Say You Want a Resolution

I'm still not running. Heck, my foot hurt just walking the dog yesterday (less than 1/5 of a mile).

So, I googled and googled and googled. The best answer that I could find on the internet was from the Google Scholarly Articles database: stress fractures in a 320 person study were diagnosed in an average of 12-14 weeks and the average recovery time was 11-12 weeks. So, assuming that I am average, and I can't count any recovery time pre-Thanksgiving because I likely re-injured myself by running too early that week, I'm looking at mid-February before any kind of return to running.

Add to that the 10% rule (no increasing mileage greater than 10% in any one week), and it will be mid-April before I can go even one mile. The PT lady and I will be discussing this at my next appointment. She's tabled any discussion of running, but I need to know what my limit will be, even if it is vague and may change for the worse. I'm also interested to see how quickly I'll be able to add mileage back. Clearly the Rock-and-Roll-Man HIM in May is now looking questionable, if not impossible.

Sigh.

After much whining in my BT logs about my physical therapy and how it sucks, I realized that I just need to get over my bad self. Yeah, so what if I can't run. Or bike. And can't kick when I swim. What difference does it make?

It means I have to actually moderate my food intake. Which sucks. The whole point of exercise is to be able to eat a handful of nuts or a cookie in the afternoon or beers with dinner. It also means that I feel removed from my triathlete/runner friends (and Doug) because they are all gearing up for their 2009 race seasons and running/biking/swimming together while I'm gearing up for another 40 minutes stretching with the exercise band.

But it's not the end of the world. It just means that I'll do more race volunteering in 2009 and maybe I won't take my running for granted again.

Oh yeah, the resolution. Sing along if you know the tune:

Ac-cen-tu-ate the POSITIVE and E-lim-i-nate the NEGATIVE

POSITIVES
  1. 12 buddies doing the couch to 5K plan. I'm already getting emailed progress reports.
  2. Annika ran a whole mile with Doug last week
  3. I'm saving a lot of money on race fees and Gu
  4. Volunteering at races is a really a lot of fun
  5. The economy has to turn around sometime
  6. I'm getting to spend more time with the kids

8 comments:

Karen said...

I like you positivity!

Foot injuries SUCK! Good luck with diagnosis and recovery! BTW you can easily diagnose a stress fracture by getting your Physio to put high dose of ultra sound over... if you hit the roof it's a stress fracture, if you don't you haven't got one!! I did this myself in May and it turned out to be metatarsalgia (or something like that), the cause of which was my bike shoe cleat fitting (although that took longer to diagnose!).

Sigh.. either way.. good luck with it!

Karen said...

Oh I WAS FIRST!!.... I'm so excited about that I may just have to get up and do a dance! ;o).. shimmy shimmy shimmy!

Dorothy Gould said...

Steph, I feel your pain. I have back issues, and have not been able to exercise since August. Just when I think I'm getting better, I slack off seeing the chiro and it flares up again. Thought I'd never get off my chair last night, so back I was this morning, at the chiro. Here's hoping that sticking with it will bring the light at the end of the tunnel, and for you too!

Trish Sharp said...

oops, am i not supposed to eat the last of the haagen-dazs creme brulee ice cream during my couch to 5k plan. this is why i have never been a thin girl. oh well. i will say that i did not want to run today. but luckily i did, esp since i ate the last of the haagen-dazs creme brulee ice cream. i did not buy it. i did not bring it into the house. but i sure did eat it.
i'm sorry you guy are injured and not able to exercise. does having a fat ass count as an injury??? i've had one for awhile now. maybe that is what has been causing me pain when i exercise. or is it the other way around, or is it eating the last of the haagen-dazs creme brulee ice cream. ummmm?!?!? something to think about.

Kevin said...

I am sorry to hear the recovery is so slow. It is good that you are being smart about things.

I am starting Cathy on the Couch Potato to 5K next week

Dogwood Girl said...

Oh, Steph. I am sorry - i know how much you love (and need) the exercise. Um, that came out wrong, I meant that you need it for mental sanity. LOL!

Anyway, stay positive. I also don't know if you are like me, but if you are, part of the enjoyment is setting a goal and meeting it. Maybe you could set a totally non-exercise-related goal. Like, knit more, bake more, read last year's banned book list, blog more often, etc.

Is there something you've always wanted to do, but haven't gotten around to? Do it now! That is why i did the November novel-writing thing, and it was very rewarding.

Good luck!

Elena said...

"The boss"? Hrmmmm... is this a good nickname? I like how you have nicknames for everyone. I have a 75 yr old neighbor like that. It's kinda funny to hear what he calls people.

Okay, if you can't walk/run, maybe you can do eliptical?

Can you change the setting on the run chart so that people can edit it? I'm slacking this week (only 5 mins walking and 11 running), but it's a start.

Nat said...

I am sorry. While I haven't (yet) suffered an injury that takes me out of running for that length of time since I have become a runner I do know what it is like to be injured and have a long rehab/recovery period. It is hard.

I am sad that you don't think you can bike but you know if you can I will always ride with you. And anytime you want to do some yoga I will go with you. We could try one of Lala's Bikram classes. She lost a lot of weight doing those regularly.
Stay positive!