Friday, October 07, 2005

Justification

Why is it that we (people, generally, but stay-at-home-moms in particular and me, especially) feel it necessary to identify ourselves by our jobs?

I made a title for this blog, with my profession and current job on it, but after some thought have deleted it. Who cares what my profession is and whether I'm doing it right now? What difference does it make if I'm doing work for our family business while I'm home with the kid(s)? Staying home with my girl is a good thing and I don't need to justify this by reciting a resume of what I did/do in addition to it. I just wonder, why do I feel the need to do it?

Theories: (1) guilt because the burden of supporting our behinds falls on Doug, (2) desire to go back to work at some point, but maybe it just boils down to (3) a misplaced need for approval or desire to be "important". I dunno.

3 comments:

Grey said...

We know you are the best. You don't need a resume to prove it.

Kat or Mike said...

I think it is because motherhood as an occupation is completely undervalued in our society. I think many people imagine that moms sit around all day lazing about on the sofa eating grapes-- or they don't think about it at all.
There is nothing wrong with being proud of all of your accomplishments- professional and maternal.

Dogwood Girl said...

Steph, just now commenting on this, but i am the same way. I always laugh at myself after answering the "what do you do?" question with "Well, i was a tech writer, but now i am a SAHM." And I always hear the apology and defensiveness in my voice.

And then I laugh about it, because anyone who has done the latter job knows it is WAY harder than any other gig one might have. . . .