Monday, November 14, 2005

Love at First Sight?

Do you believe in love at first sight?

I just finished a book about a woman who fell in love with a monk (who was, obviously, not her husband) the first time she saw him. Apart from the whole infidelity thing (which also bothered me), I had a hard time believing that the man and woman fell in love after meeting each other only once. I can understand if they had spent an afternoon together or an evening, but one meeting? Seems to me that love at first sight is really just lust. Nothing wrong with some good old-fashioned lust, though.

Granted, I am biased. I met Doug at the first Lollapolooza concert, when he came walking by our blanket with his friend Mike, who was also my friend Mike. I don't remember anything special about the meeting except that I met Mike's nice friend and hung out with them on their blanket for a while during the afternoon. It was only through repeated exposure over the next year or so (same friends, same concerts, same parties, he liked my scar) that I realized that Doug was as great as he is.

I just don't think you can realize the fullness of someone else at first sight.

4 comments:

Dogwood Girl said...

Interesting. What book is this you are reading?

I don't personally believe in it, because it has not happened to me. I am going to have to post about this online and find out if anybody has, because it will make for a good story.

My two loves have not been immediate - but I will say that I knew pretty quickly with both. Like, within a week.

Kat or Mike said...

Lakewood. it must have been Lakewood but after that things sort of blur. You'll have to prompt me later about details. A blanket... wait its coming back. No. I do agree with you about chance meeting/lust business. I hate when you invest yourself in some fiction and realize too late how implausible it is.
Mike

Steph Bachman said...

The book was "The Mermaind Chair" by Sue Monk Kidd. I didn't love it.

Mike, it was the Lollapollooza where Janes Addiction was the headliner. You had your arm in a sling because of a wake-boarding accident, I believe.

Kat or Mike said...

Are you kidding me? that was THE Lollopolooza, the first and by far the best. Not that I went to any more. I can't believe that I don't remember a wake boarding accident- though I suppose it is possible. More plausible is that was a story I was shopping around at the moment...