Sunday, April 29, 2007

We Are the Champions

That's right. The beer fridge is defrosted and clean. You may now feel safe consuming beer at my house unmolested by exploding coke cans, beers that overflow upon opening or sticky coke goo. I defrosted it on the deck with our bird friends - we thought they were swallows, but an internet search was inconclusive. I had to disinfect the whole fridge because those darn birds poop a LOT.

Dagny is feeling better this afternoon and proved (yet again) that she is more stubborn than I am. She would not drink any liquids from a sippy cup after 10am this morning. Why? Who knows. I think it was because her head hurt from being dehydrated. After an ill-fated attempt at siphoning by mouth, I finally put milk (I know it isn't a clear liquid but she refused all forms of liquid except milk) in a medicine cup and she drank that. We progressed to the Dora big-girl cup with about a millimeter of liquid at the time. Maybe she was just trying to tell me that she is too big for sippy cups. And, no barf for over 24 hours. Whew!

Annika and I ran 4 miles today in the flats during Dagny's nap. Annika was going to do more bike-riding after we finished, but the neighbor kids showed up so I was chopped liver after that. No matter, it gave me time to do the fridge.

Oh, and, did you know that some red food dye is made from bugs? Cochineal is made from little bugs that are hard to raise and live on cacti. I found this out because the Vegan Lunchbox (March 26 post) mentioned not being able to use red rice sheets because apparently, vegans can't eat cochineal. Thanks to the wonders of the internet, I now know what that stuff is. I refrained from commenting that most grains contain some kind of bug larva which will hatch under favorable conditions (like your pantry). Better for the nice vegan lady not to know.

2 comments:

Wes said...

Now that the beer fridge is ready, when's the party? :-) Did I ever mention that I luv Cochineal and larvae? LOL. Are you on a one woman crusade to ruin my appetite? LOL.

Nat said...

I want to come to the party too. No bugs for me though, just beer please.