Monday, June 18, 2007

Hips Don't Lie

So, we drove to Doug's parents' house for dinner last night while Annika sang in the back seat. "Oh Baby when you talk like that" "you make a woman go mad" . . . blah blah, la, la, la "Oh Baby when you talk like that - you make a woman go mad."

"What is that?" asked Doug. Shakira. I'm sure Shakira is lovely and I'm glad that she is so cool with her body - but I don't want Annika singing about her hips.

Where does my kid hear Shakira? I've been VERY diligent in not playing any music with bad words or sexual content. We learned from our friend's "My Humps" incident. My Gwen Stefani and Prince CDs have been banished and we've been listening to the Veggie Tales and Cow Songs for years now. Dammit. I don't even play my i-pod list or listen to my Audible books when Annika is in the car because of the cursing and scary content. We even sanitized the dinner mix. And Shakira still snuck into the vocabulary.

I guess it is a really good hook. But why not any of the great They Might be Giants tunes? Too erudite is my guess. SIGH.

8 comments:

Wes said...

I personally wouldn't fight it. It's inevitable :-) My kids are doing OK. Respect and self-confidence are essential.

Steph Bachman said...

That is exactly what Doug said. So, we didn't even mention it in front of Annika.

Tara said...

It's a catchy tune! Chase was stuck on Beck's Girl for a while and then Gwen Stefani Holler back Girl which was not good. Two weeks ago it was Arcade Fire. It all passes and now he's singing his jesus songs from vacation bible school.

Tara M. said...

It's astonishing that she can even understand what Shakira is saying.

Jeff used to run around singing the songs from Grease and saying "sloppy seconds aren't my style" when he was a kid.

Dogwood Girl said...

Gracious. Rollie's latest is singing along with Kings of Leon's "Knocked UP."

"I don't care what her mama says, she's gonna have my baby. . . "

also: "I"m gonna be her lover." Both sound awesome coming out of a three-year old's mouth.

Seriously, though - we have make playlists of our music that is appropriate for kids, but that we still like.

Jarrett Meyer said...

If I ever have kids, we will only listen to 60's hippie music and classical. My kids will hate me.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Emily said...

Oh, that is so my bad. We have been listening to it a lot in the car, it's her favorite