Friday, December 02, 2005

Life of Saturdays

A post on Dogwood Girl's blog led me to think about something that my husband once told me. We have a friend who gave up his career to be a stay-at-home dad and to allow his wife to blossom in her career (which she has, and how!). Their children are getting older (one in college and two in high school) and need less of his time now than they once did. The other guys in dad's circle of friends joke about how he now has the life of Saturdays.

Doug has remarked that I, too, have the life of Saturdays. I guess that is one way to look at it since I don't go to an office or a jobsite every day. However, if a "Saturday" is defined by a rest from work responsibilities, then I'd have to say that I (and all other stay-at-home parents) live the life of Mondays . . . not that I would change a thing. Soon enough, the kids will be in school and if I don't get an outside-the-family-business job, I really will lead the life of Saturdays - at least from 8-2.

1 comment:

Dogwood Girl said...

I am sooo livin' the life of Mondays. [Obviously, this is said to the tune of "livin' la vida loca."] And I would change a thing. I would be fabulously wealthy and thin, and I would have a nanny on weekends and vacations. . .