Saturday, June 21, 2008

Oops, I Did It Again

I had planned to take the girls to run the fun run at the Chattahoochee Nature Center Possom Trot this morning. I looked up the race to find out the details as I was enjoying my post-run cereal and coffee a few minutes ago. The one mile fun run, the one for the kids - started at 7am. Oops.

Seeing as how it is now 8:35 and my little friends are still asleep, we didn't make it to the fun run. Next time . . . It's OK, though, because this was a one mile race and I don't know if Annika is ready to do a whole mile yet.

In other news, here is the list of winter marathons (my first!) we are considering, in no particular order. Lotzie - you could be ready in time for any of these! Miami looks good but might be too hot. Phoenix looks fun but is really far. St Jude might be too early and Joe says that Las Vegas is for fun and not marathons. I may be too old to go to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. Anyway, anyone who has thoughts on these races or has done them, please give me your thoughts:

I can't build to the Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon in time because it is in November and I have to focus on my bike fitness (and just maintain my run mileage) for the SC HIM in September. Therefore, I think it would be a bad idea for me to try to build from the half distance to the whole in one month after doing the really long race in September. Especially given my propensity to injure myself while building to any race. I need extra time and then some more extra time.

Off to shower, happy Saturday everyone.

4 comments:

Camille said...

i know nothing about marathons, but i have been to kiawah island, and i loved it. it is close by, and i love that it's so near charleston.

Wes said...

I too was told that training for both a half iron and a marathon at the same time was a bad idea. Since this guy was a level III certified tri-coach, I believed him :-)

Lauren said...

PF Chang's Rock N Roll is on Jan 18 in Tempe. :)

OurGreatEscape said...

You don't have the "happiest" marathon on the list--WALT DISNEY WORLD MARATHON--Sunday, January 11, 2009!

Half marathon is already full; the full marathon is almost 2/3 full.

If you don't want to make your marathon a family vacation, I second the Kiawah Island marathon (do note it is usually filled by late July/early August).

We used the Kiawah course as one of our last loooong training runs when preping for the Disney marathon (way too many years ago). KI is nice a flat!

Be careful of Dallas White Rock. Most folks assume all Texas is flat...not;-)

Gotta run.