Thursday, February 09, 2006

Torture

So, we are working on getting Dagny to take a bottle. She had a few at the hospital when she was born, I tried once the week she came home, and my mom has given her three (3) bottles at various times so I could go to the doctor or work, but other than that, she has been all-boob-all-the-time.

It's totally selfish, but I need some down-time so we are trying to give her a bottle every day to get her used to it. Monday, she ate 3-4 ounces of (gasp) formula during an hour of screaming. Tuesday, 2 ounces of breastmilk with more screaming, but she was wearing most of it. Wednesday, 1.5 ounces of formula during the wailing hour. Do you see a pattern? Bottle-feeding is torture for everyone - even the dog.

Doug's sister may try to help me today or tomorrow. She is the one who taught Annika to take a bottle so maybe she is the magic we need. If our schedules don't mesh or if Dagny refuses the bottle again today, I may go insane. On one hand, it's very complimentary that Dagny likes the boob so much - she is quite a bruiser and it's all because of me! On the other hand, though, I would really love to do something (anything) by myself or with just Annika. Four months of 24/7 responsibility is a long damn time - how I'd like to disappear for just an hour.

1 comment:

Dogwood Girl said...

Hang in there. She will take one sooner or later. And it is not selfish of you to want an hour to yourself. If it is, then I am the most selfish mother on earth. I would like to have 24 hours to myself. Good luck!