Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Stephanie Bites the Dust

Or,

Why You Should Always Make Your Kids Wear Helmets

Today I rode bikes with Doug and our friend Neal. As we rode away from the park, Doug noticed that Neal forgot his helmet. "I'll be OK," he said. "Nah, we'll go and get it" said Doug. "Whew" said I. I didn't want to be the bossy mom. We looped back through Land O'Lakes and retrieved his spare helmet. The good one appears to be missing, which sucks, but at least he had a spare.

After the helmet application, we rode in the nasty drizzle all around Roswell and had a lovely time. I wasn't always able to keep up, but I always reeled them back in at some point down the line. You have to work really hard to REALLY drop me.

We took the big hill route down Pine Grove to turn right on Shallowford Road on the way home. Those of you familiar with the area know that the turn onto Shallowford is tight - you have to downshift in advance and slow down.

Apparently, you have to slow down extra when it's wet.

My rear tire started to fishtail a little as I crossed the bridge and slowed down to turn but I thought I had recovered. I turned my handlebars to the right and all of a sudden I was bouncing and sliding on the ground. Oops.

As far as I can tell, when I turned my handlebars right, my rear tire kept going forward so my bike and I laid down on our sides. As far as accidents go, this was really minor. I only have some road rash on my hip, shoulder and wrist.

However, I'll never forget the sound my helmet made when it bounced off of the ground. THWOP! It's really odd to bounce like that.

As we finished our ride, I was thinking to myself that maybe I wouldn't have to get a new helmet (it's not in the budget right now) because it didn't hit that hard. After all, it only has a minor scrape on the outside.

The inside of my helmet is all cracked, though.

At least it's not my head.

6 comments:

Wes said...

Awwwww man! There is definitely something going around. Two SC peeps, you, me, a Tennessee chica! WTH?? It's a bad week to be on the bike. I think I'll ride mine on the trainer tomorrow, with some padding on the walls just in case ;-)

Glad you are OK!!!!

Kevin said...

Ouch! Wes is right, it is really going around lately. Glad you are OK

Tri-ing with Twins said...

OK, so i guess this is my sign to stay off the bike this week, haha. So sorry to read about your fall. Mine happened about two months ago at the corner of Glenwood Avenue and 2nd Avenue. If any of you know that area..... the 'hood is not the best place to crash, haha. Oh well. Glad you're ok. :)

Raina

JoeVic said...

If I remember back to the cycling days of my youth, both bike and motorcycle, if you wreck and hit your helmet, replace it.

They can only absorb a finite amount of shock/force. Yours is now degraded and will offer you less protection should it happen again. Expensive I know, but better safe than sorry. :)

Charlie said...

OMG! Be careful out here Steph and don't be breaking things. You definately need to get a new helmet...they aren't that expensive for the protection they provide.

Danielle said...

Hate it when that happens! Glad you weren't injured more!