Saturday, August 11, 2007

Predictions and a Group Ride

I've been messing around with the triathlon race calculator this morning and I can safely say that there is no way I will do my race in 1 hour and 15 minutes. That was my super secret goal. I thought I was the only person that had the super secret goal, but after reading race reports on the cool running and beginner triathlete boards, I know that everyone does this. So, anyway, given my suckiness on the bike, I've revised my goal to 1 hour 30 minutes. I think this is completely do-able so long as I don't have any equipment or potty problems. My bike is shifting badly (doesn't want to go into the big ring unless on the highest of the back gears) so cross your fingers for that. I'm hoping Doug and I can adjust it this afternoon. If not, I'll limp it through the race and already have an appointment with my REI friends on Thursday.

So, Nat and I will be getting up good and early tomorrow for the trek to Acworth to hang with about 500 other women racers. We are already nervous and have conferred more than 3 times about the plans. I'm packing my gear now and have already put my race number on the cool belt. I have tested and washed my outfit (this top, but with the Rapida low-rise shorts). Low-rise shorts are the bomb and feel much better on my tummy because they aren't actually touching my tummy. Look for me in my Team Bachman bike shirt.

Nat, Doug and I rode in a group ride with the North Atlanta Multisports group on Thursday. It was my first "official" ride and though I struggled through parts of it, I did OK. I didn't crash or cause anyone else to crash so I think it was a win. The group was very nice and welcoming and didn't act like I was big idiot, which was awfully generous of them.

This week:

Sunday: 15.6 mile ride on part of the Mayor's Route at 14.6 mph. It was lovely this morning and I had a great time. Doug and Annika got me Krispy Kreme donuts for a special birthday surprise breakfast. : )

Monday: 1,200 yard swim before work.

Tuesday: 12.09 mile bike at 14.1 mph. I went in the afternoon and it was really freaking hot. My planned 20 mile ride turned into a 12 mile ride (I thought I'd just run a little after) and then the run dropped off because I was toast.

Wednesday: 4.13 mile run with audio book at 9:38 min/mile pace. Easy peasy.

Thursday: 20 mile group ride turned into about 14 miles because of the heat. I forgot to turn on my Garmin so I only got part of the ride. The 9.14 miles I captured were at a 9.1 pace but we stopped a lot to regroup and drink water. I got up to about 21 mph down by the river because I was drafting. Drafting is fun! Then, 3.04 mile run at 9:25 min/mile. Conversational pace, no pushing. Beer/wing repeats at Taco Mac after. Thanks to my folks for having our little friends for dinner and playtime while Doug and I rode.

Friday: I had to get up early to pay bills and missed my swim. De facto rest day.

Saturday: 900 yard easy swim. Was going to do the usual 1,200 yard swim but (1) I'm supposed to be resting today, and (2) my shoulder hurt. The shoulder is not injured, so I must have just slept on it funny but I thought it would be dumb to push through it the day before my race.

Totals: 2,100 yards swimming, 41.69 miles biking and 7.17 miles running. Tapering looks a lot like laziness to me. Anyway, after next week's race in Cordele, I'll start training for the half marathons this winter so look for more running. Good thing Doug has a million books on his Audible account. I have a super secret goal for the running too, but I'm keeping it secret for now.

3 comments:

Wes said...

LOL. You and Nat have no idea how to taper. You are supposed to cut back like 40%. I will be looking for "Team Bachman" tomorrow! Have a great race!!

Nat said...

psst, Stop sandbagging. You are speedy and are going to do awesome.

Dorothy Gould said...

Happy Birthday Steph! Good Luck tomorrow, I will be thinking about you guys, and look forward to reading your race report. And, seeing pics of the Team Bachman shirt....