Friday, March 10, 2006

I Don't Like You

Annika told me today, "I don't like you anymore, Mom."

This barb had surprisingly little impact on me, and thinking quickly (not a strong suit), I responded: "it's not nice to say mean things like that to Mommy. If you say it again, you are going to time-out." End of discussion. I still marvel at the fact that time-out is such an effective punishment, at least for now.

Another good punishment we've discovered is "denying the goodies". Annika pitched a fit when I said that Dogarita couldn't go outside, so Dagny and I went to the mailbox to get the mail without Annika (who remained in the kitchen, screaming). You would have thought I cut off the kid's leg. She was much nicer after all of those nasty screams were released, though.

3 comments:

Dogwood Girl said...

You're really lucky she didn't lock your ass out of the house.

Dorothy Gould said...

I could not agree more with your tactics. You have to "find their currency" as they say, and once you do, use it at all costs! For Sophie, the absolute worst is to lose her bedtime story. It doesnt happen often, but when it does, she remembers it. How funny that going to the mailbox is such a big treat, it is in our house too.

GrandmaMaier said...

Steph, Have been reading your blog and am much impressed - I remember those times with chicken pox - had five down with them at one time. This too shall pass. Keep up the good parenting....