Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Shopping Hell

Since I start the new job tomorrow and haven't bought any professional clothes since 2001 or 2002, I went to several stores yesterday. It SUCKED. I'm just no good at shopping.

As I put on the clothes and tried to make mental notes of which sizes fit and which necklines were too revealing, I thought to myself, "this shouldn't be so hard - plenty of folks love to shop and would trade places with me in a heartbeat." My body is not an unusual size and I wasn't going anywhere pricey, so why couldn't I find anything to buy? I think that some people are gifted with the ability to shop and pick outfits, but I'm not - it was much easier when I wore a dark suit to work every day and simply rotated the blouse or shirt underneath and the jaunty scarf (it was the late 90s). A suit is like a uniform - takes all of the guesswork out of the equation. However, now that the world is business casual (and all blouses are slutty-looking), fashion retards like me are adrift.

I fell back on the old standby of khakis + button down shirt or sweater set , but I did get one skirt. We will see how much that gets worn. My friend Tina said that I could wear open-toed shoes with a skirt, but I'm still not sure. I'm the girl who wore camisoles under her blouses until 2000.

3 comments:

Camille said...

I love that you put in hyperlinks to the clothes. Hilarious.

Dogwood Girl said...

If it is a casual office, Tina is right. You can wear open-toed shoes. And the sweater sets/blouses are always a safe purchase. You are going to look (and do) great.

Nat said...

I am always happy to help shop. Call me next time. And you can wear open toe shoes in casual offices so long as they are on the dressier side and not the birkenstock side.

Good luck! Let us know how your first day goes.