Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Relaxation - Not for Me

Yesterday I had planned to do my long swim if I got out of jury duty in time. Alas, no. So, I came home and put on the Yoga for Triathletes DVD so that Annika and I could get my 30 minutes in for Paul's streaking challenge.

All of the folks on the BT boards are always talking about how they love the yoga and how it helps them and keeps them healthy (uninjured), etc. My friends love the yoga. I'm not disputing that some flexibility work would help me, but really?

I just would rather sweat than yoga.

Annika insisted that we do all 3 sections of the video (Energy, Strength and Flexibility). That is an hour and a half of yoga, folks. Without even sweating much. What is the point? Dagny was napping or we would have gone out for a walk instead. Luckily, I was able to fast-forward through the "Strength" section while Annika wasn't looking. She didn't follow the directions or even face the TV. She thought it was fun to sit on me while I did the poses and make forts out of her sections of the mat. Then she got mad when I used part of her mat (she wasn't on it at the time) to cushion my knee. She really wanted to watch Madagascar more than do yoga. So, I got through my hour and quit.

Yoga might make you more flexible and ease your muscles, but it doesn't make any endorphins. None. At all. I might still have to log a goose egg for this. It feels like cheating to count yoga as working out.

In better news, today I did my long swim (thanks to Doug) and rode my bike on the trainer. I watched "Kill Bill Vol 1" at full volume. This is not a bad trainer movie. I bought it after Annika was born and we hadn't watched it yet. It had good music so I was able to get my rpms up to a 93 avg (for me, this is awesome) even without the spinups. And, since I couldn't read the subtitles for the japanese language parts of the movie, it won't be annoying to watch again. : ) Please note, however, that there is way too much violence to watch while kids are in the house.

And now, Annika and I are going outside to run. She has Mark's camelbak on and wants to try it out.

6 comments:

Nat said...

I feel the same about yoga but it is a worthwhile endeavor. Those poses pack a one two punch by stretching multiple areas at the same time and do help build core strength. It is like muti-tasking. I do them fast and fluidily so you can break a sweat. Just do lots of the yoga push-ups between poses and that'll get your heart rate up. Use the video for a tutorial and then make up your own routine. That's what I do. All that sitting around and finding my breath irritates the crap out of me. There use to be a good yoga show at 6 am on the Oxygen Channel. It was fairly challenging. I think it is called, Breathe, lol.

Wes said...

I second that. Yoga definitely counts...

Lauren said...

Yoga is the yang to Kill Bill's ying. :)

Charlie said...

Never done Yoga...Don't know if I would want to...I don't know that this old body could stretch very much...although it couldn't hurt...but it would hurt...physically...I don't want to hurt...even if it's going to be good for me.

Good on you all that can do it!
Charlie

Mike Maier said...

I love yoga, but if you are looking for a workout, you need to rethink it. It is not really about working up a sweat, but more about stretching, breathing, and teaching yourself to relax. It can certainly mesh with the IRONWOMAN inside of you, but you might need to reconsider how. Not to sound all yoga about it...

Nat said...

Are your fingers sore from the yoga cause it's been a week sista and yous needs to update the bloggy. If for nothing else but because I like to see my named linked!

PS Happy Birthday Annika. 5!!!!!! Yippy!!!!